Saturday, December 19, 2009

my title

Wittenberg is the university that Martin Luther attended, and in their own fictional worlds both Hamlet and Faustus were rumored to have been students there. I learned about Wittenberg after seeing a play by the same name last year at the Arden theater in Philly. The play portrayed an imagined scenario where Professor Luther's theology and Professor Faustus's philosophy batted poor hamlet around like a ping-pong ball. "My own private..." is an allusion to Gus Van Sant's 1990 film "My own private Idaho" which tells the story of a narcoleptic hustler, Mike Waters, and his search for his long lost mother; the film ends with Mike standing on the same long winding road in Idaho he started on. I hope as you read my blog, my posts will help to further reveal the meaning of my title.

No comments:

Post a Comment